4705 S 129th E Ave
Job Number: 5055
Primary Purpose of Job:
The Systems Engineer II is responsible for participating in the server and storage infrastructure platforms by designing, assessing, project planning, implementing, documenting and supporting complex systems in a highly virtualized environment. This position needs to intently focus on prioritization and always seek improvement of processes and tools. This position will be involved in multiple projects through all life-cycle phases in accordance with established procedures and standards and will ensure that monitoring and uptime are treated as importantly as the original deployment. This position provides Tier 3 technical support for all infrastructure enterprise systems and requires constant problem-solving and is heavily reliant on teamwork.
Major functions for this position:
Effectively implement systems infrastructure solutions as part of a delivery team. – 70% of total job
- Participate in the planning, design, and implementation of systems infrastructure designs at a high-quality level in waterfall or agile projects.
- Participate in designing and maximize automation of processes for provisioning, maintenance and monitoring of solutions designed for minimal impact to operations teams.
- Provide moderate-level engineering, implementation, administration, support, documentation and design for server and storage enterprise systems.
- Ensure designs meet industry best practices, standards, and any security and compliance requirements.
- Work with 3rd parties to maximize project success when needed.
- Effectively document support methods and tasks for transition to operations teams.
- Analyze current infrastructure utilization and assist in the planning for future growth and upgrade needs based on capacity planning information.
- With minimal supervision, work with project teams (all levels of management and developers), to determine needs and make technical recommendations to ensure correct server and storage options are designed and installed.
- Fulfill the Subject Matter Expect (SME) role through the PMO Process.
Lead operational support of escalated Level 3 systems infrastructure problems. – 15% of total job
- Troubleshoot, analyze, and resolve complex problems to meet business needs.
- Liaison between vendors, and customers to ensure timely resolution of issues and keeping stakeholders informed.
- Seize opportunities to automate tasks to reduce failure for the future.
- Maintain knowledge of what support issues are most common for systems infrastructure technology and work with operations teams to maximize the use of automation to reduce support costs.
Technical Leadership – 10% of total job
General and Other duties as assigned – 5% of total job.
- Maintain technical competence and relevance on existing and emerging systems infrastructure and automation technologies.
- Conceive, define, develop, and deploy tools/processes which automate QT’s systems infrastructure technology to produce higher business value.
- Recommend and improve procedures/processes.
- Provide necessary training to development staff as needed.
- Ensure that appropriate technology is implemented in the appropriate manner.
- Provide input into current and future reference architectures.
- Perform administrative tasks as required by policy or as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding the information being processed, stored, or assessed by any tools or during any troubleshooting procedures.
Position in Organization:
- Reports to: Infrastructure Engineering Manager
- Directly supervises: N/A.
- Indirectly supervises: Systems Administrators, Installation and Support Specialists, and Vendors during hardware and software installation, Operators, Programmers, users during implementation of systems.
- Inside the Company: All Information Technology personnel and high percentage of other department personnel.
- Outside the Company: Hardware/software vendors, personnel in other company data processing installations.
Position Specifications: The required specifications (education, experience, and skills) are those that the employee must have to hold the position. Applicants applying for this position must possess the required specifications to be considered for the job. The desired specifications are those that are not required for the employee to hold the position, but the employee should try to obtain the desired education, experience, and/or skills to be effective and successful in the position.
- Required education: Associates’ Degree in Computer Engineering or related technical field or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Desired education: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or related technical field. Certification in one or many Information Technology disciplines, ITIL Certification or Project Management Certification.
- Required experience: Minimum 4-6 years’ progressive experience with server, storage and network systems configuration/administration. Must possess moderate knowledge of Microsoft operating systems including Active Directory and IIS, VMware Infrastructure and tools, Network Load Balancer and an advanced understanding of storage area networking. Moderate network topology and Operating System background. Moderate understanding of server hardware and concepts including services, security, proper data backup and disaster recovery practices and domains. Moderate knowledge of SAN, NAS, FibreChannel, and networking protocols. Strong experience troubleshooting computer hardware/software related problems. Moderate understanding of Mobile Device Management, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), and Microsoft System Center Suite of management tools.
- Desired Experience: Subject matter expert in some aspects of systems infrastructure engineering across multiple systems.
- Required skills: Rapidly acquire new knowledge and skills perpetually and remain current existing and future technologies. Moderate experience in system design, implementation and administration of Microsoft Windows and VMware Virtual Infrastructure. Skills include day-to-day systems implementation/administrator to ensure the high-performance and high-availability requirements of systems and services are met.
- Diagnostic/troubleshooting and problem-solving skills. Planning and goal setting at high and detailed evels; ability to implement technical strategy and design solutions to meet that strategy. Ability to solve problems independently, quickly then communicate them clearly to management. Needs to be able to work in a team environment. Ability to translate business needs into technical solutions.
- Must be able to take the initiative and to work without direct supervision.
- Desired Skills: Experience with IBM AS/400, Microsoft SQL Server, Commvault, Microsoft Project Server, Microsoft SharePoint, Citrix solutions including NetScaler & VDI, VMware AirWatch, advanced scripting (including PERL, BASH, Python, and PowerShell), configuration management tools and various UNIX-based operating systems.